REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2173325 - 03/07/14 02:23 PM I'm not only drinking the Kool Aid.......
Tanner Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: Point Loma
........after today's session, I'm f-ing chugging it!

I'm on a loaner FW/Tomo Nano that's entirely too big for me, yet it's performing absolutely UNREAL.

Previously, I'd only ridden it at beach breaks, where I've been SUPER stoked on it, but this morning I took it down to the Trestles complex and holy crap, we're talkin' next level sh!t (at least for this 'average surfer').

I am absolutely amazed at how well this board has me feeling and I can't wait to get one in my right size!

On my way back, I passed the ERBB's Echobch on the trail (he was heading down to watch his kid surf the NSSA Champs @ Church) and he got a taste of my stoke for this board........I was babbling on and on, and I'm sure I had that gleam in my eye.

OHHH YEEAAAHHH!!

cheers

photo by Petrillosurf, on Flickr

#2173353 - 03/07/14 03:05 PM Re: I'm not only drinking the Kool Aid....... [Re: Tanner]
santacruzin Offline
Michael Peterson status

Do you have a griffin thruster set?

if so put those in there and your onto even more next level shizz!!!

#2173359 - 03/07/14 03:24 PM Re: I'm not only drinking the Kool Aid....... [Re: Tanner]
squattyfk Offline
Nep status

Loc: HB in the OC
Very cool and all but where are the latest shred pics of tanner jr? Always show them to my stocked 14 yr old and he's always like fugggg! That lil kid's a bad arse!

#2173360 - 03/07/14 03:26 PM Re: I'm not only drinking the Kool Aid....... [Re: Tanner]
csarqui Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

How far out of your size range is it? 1 notch? 2? Just curious how they ride in larger sizes. Have you ridden a Vanguard before or is this your 1st Tomo? I'm wondering if your stoke is specific to the Nano or the Tomo coolaid.

#2173364 - 03/07/14 03:43 PM Re: I'm not only drinking the Kool Aid....... [Re: Tanner]
Mooobs Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Donktard Shltshow
Thanks for the report. Is it shorter than what you normally ride? I looked at some of the volume #s on the Vanguard and they are shocking for their length. I'm normally hesitant to go too short due to my lanky-arse frame.

#2173374 - 03/07/14 04:10 PM Re: I'm not only drinking the Kool Aid....... [Re: Tanner]
echobch Offline
Nep status

Loc: San Clemente
yea BT, that thing was sick ,I only wish it was under my arm. fun waves for sure

#2173378 - 03/07/14 04:28 PM Re: I'm not only drinking the Kool Aid....... [Re: Mooobs]
toddo Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Originally Posted By: Mooobs
Thanks for the report. Is it shorter than what you normally ride? I looked at some of the volume #s on the Vanguard and they are shocking for their length. I'm normally hesitant to go too short due to my lanky-arse frame.

the nano volumes are spot on IMO. the stock vanguards are too long for their volume once you get over 5'3/5'4 isn

#2173381 - 03/07/14 04:33 PM Re: I'm not only drinking the Kool Aid....... [Re: santacruzin]
Tanner Offline
Phil Edwards status

Originally Posted By: santacruzin
Do you have a griffin thruster set?

if so put those in there and your onto even more next level shizz!!!

Thanks for the insight! cheers

#2173384 - 03/07/14 04:34 PM Re: I'm not only drinking the Kool Aid....... [Re: squattyfk]
Tanner Offline
Phil Edwards status

Originally Posted By: squattyfk
Very cool and all but where are the latest shred pics of tanner jr? Always show them to my stocked 14 yr old and he's always like fugggg! That lil kid's a bad arse!

Last week's Spiderman impression, at the Bread Bowl cheers

IMG_6902 by Petrillosurf, on Flickr

#2173388 - 03/07/14 04:46 PM Re: I'm not only drinking the Kool Aid....... [Re: Tanner]
jp30surf Offline
Nep status

Loc: Maine
Is that a stretch quad set?

#2173389 - 03/07/14 05:01 PM Re: I'm not only drinking the Kool Aid....... [Re: csarqui]
Tanner Offline
Phil Edwards status

Originally Posted By: csarqui
How far out of your size range is it? 1 notch? 2? Just curious how they ride in larger sizes. Have you ridden a Vanguard before or is this your 1st Tomo? I'm wondering if your stoke is specific to the Nano or the Tomo coolaid.

I've had a Vanguard for awhile now, and love it, as well. Same story - absolutely couldn't believe how fast and responsive it was, and how good I felt about my surfing on it.

One thing I've found about the Vanguard, and have heard many others say the same, is that it performs much better in 'good' waves.

One of the reasons I was dying to try a Nano was not only my success on the Vanguard, but also because the FW guys told me the it's much more of an 'all-around' board than the Vanguard.

I've used the Firewire Volume Calculator since they posted it on their site, and I've always been absolutely honest with myself when using it - ability, age, weight.

Right now, my recommended volumes are 41 - 47L in weak waves and 39 - 43L in good waves.

That being said, I got the largest Vanguard (6'2 x 20 1/2 x 2 7/8) that has 43.5L of volume. YES, it feels like I could go down a notch or two, but I'm happy with FOAM and am stoked I'm even able to ride something that's 6'2.

The board pictured here is the biggest Nano - a 6'4 x 21 1/4 x 3 with 47.7 liters of volume. Definitely a bit of a beast, but as reported, I was amazed at how well it turned and how responsive it was.

Based on the above, I will probably also get the 6'2 x 20 3/4 x 2 7/8 with 43.8L and stay kind of in the middle of my 'overall' volume range.

The conversation I had with Echobch this morning, pretty much sums it up. We both said we're not trying to fool anybody at our age/weight/ability and want some foam under us, so we can HAVE FUN!

On the fin set-up note, I've only ridden both as quads and have heard that Tomo says they ride best as thrusters. I know all the Firewire guys ride them as thrusters, with only one of their crew sticking to the quad set up. Tony from FW told me 'The Vanguard is actually what got me BACK on thrusters, after being on quads for so long'.

Definitely food for thought.

cheers

#2173396 - 03/07/14 05:39 PM Re: I'm not only drinking the Kool Aid....... [Re: Tanner]
rowjimmytour Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Rbeach
Originally Posted By: Tanner
Originally Posted By: squattyfk

Last week's Spiderman impression, at the Bread Bowl cheers

IMG_6902 by Petrillosurf, on Flickr

rockin
Nice board and of course JR still rips the sh*t out of the bowls wave2 Careful also to go to short on boards meant to ride short foreheadslap 5'6" feels good on my bumblebee but my 5'2" superbuzz feels trippy and still have troubles some times getting my feet right drowning I hope going thruster might help this since mine has a thumbtail cheers
"Just talked to our former MFT and she brought up the diagnosis of borderline personality disorder. The same thing that 3 other therapists have told me, but this one knew met my wife and had sessions with her.
Verbal and emotional abuse, some physical, lots of toxic talk."
-Boneroni

#2173413 - 03/07/14 06:20 PM Re: I'm not only drinking the Kool Aid....... [Re: jp30surf]
Tanner Offline
Phil Edwards status

Originally Posted By: jp30surf
Is that a stretch quad set?

Yes - I think they're my favorite quad set from FCS.

I only have boards/fins for the original FCS system, but this loaner has FCS II and fins weren't part of the loan deal.

So, I bought the $10 'Conversion Kit' which is super easy to use and I've had no problems at all with the fins.

#2173416 - 03/07/14 06:22 PM Re: I'm not only drinking the Kool Aid....... [Re: Tanner]
joeyj Online   content
Grom

How much do you weigh and what age? Thanks!

#2173429 - 03/07/14 07:20 PM Re: I'm not only drinking the Kool Aid....... [Re: jp30surf]
echobch Offline
Nep status

Loc: San Clemente
Wish I could have gotten down there a little earlier to share a few and try it of coarse. Yep foam is our friend and your smile coming up the trail said it all. fun fun fun

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >