REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2234014 - 07/31/14 10:44 PM POP/Venice Surfer Ronnie Jay FOUND!
Thrustless Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: Gundo
LA peeps, keep your eyes peeled for Ronnie Jay. He's not in a good place with his Alzheimers and has gone missing. Great guy; very sad situation...

Edited by Thrustless (08/01/14 08:14 PM)

#2234021 - 07/31/14 11:04 PM Re: POP/Venice Surfer Ronnie Jay Missing - Alzheimers [Re: Thrustless]
SBSteve Offline
Michael Peterson status

Holy crap!
I had no idea he was in bad shape.
Hadn't talked to him in years but he lived upstairs from me at the Bay Hotel across fron the Jeff Ho shop and we surfed alot together during the POP Era and many North trips to Big Sur and N California.
Interesting, I just replied to a post about that time in my life and someone getting out.
He used to come up and stay with me at my house in the winters surfing Rincon.
Jeez, I hope this ends well. RJ is a good guy AND surfer, He is my senior and I always looked up to him as a surfer and human, very cool guy.
Hope the ALZ wasn't a product of his profession (electrician)

#2234029 - 07/31/14 11:31 PM Re: POP/Venice Surfer Ronnie Jay Missing - Alzheimers [Re: SBSteve]
donuts Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: @ the fun house
there's a bit in the stacy peralta dogtown skate movie where they interview him. he was saying that inside the old pop pier (with all the submerged pilings, rebar, beams, and stuff) was the most dangerous place he ever surfed in ca.

62 isn't that old - hope they find him o.k.

#2234030 - 07/31/14 11:42 PM Re: POP/Venice Surfer Ronnie Jay Missing - Alzheimers [Re: Thrustless]
Mooobs Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Donktard Shltshow
This is terrible. I saw him a week or two ago getting some waves down here. Up until recently he was still recognizing me, though lately not as much anymore. I'm really upset.

#2234034 - 08/01/14 12:04 AM Re: POP/Venice Surfer Ronnie Jay Missing - Alzheimers [Re: SBSteve]
squidley Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Originally Posted By: SBSteve
Holy crap!
RJ is a good guy AND surfer, He is my senior and I always looked up to him as a surfer and human, very cool guy.
Hope the ALZ wasn't a product of his profession (electrician)

Blocking glutamate cures Alzheimer's
Quote:
* Blocking the metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 protein may repair memory
* Tests have shown that it restores learning in mouse model of Alzheimer's
* Findings could help develop drugs to slow the degenerative illness

4 September 2013
Researchers have discovered a protein that they claim is the missing link to the development of Alzheimer's disease.

They found that blocking this protein with an existing drug can restore memory in mice with brain damage that mimics the disease.

The findings could offer hope of developing drugs to slow the degenerative illness.

Alzheimer's causes a decrease in the size of the brain, shown here by the enlarged ventricle cavities (white, at centre of brain) and the widened pale blue regions. Researchers now believe they have found the 'missing link' that triggers the disease
-----------------------------------------------
'What is very exciting is that of all the links in this molecular chain, this is the protein that may be most easily targeted by drugs,' said the study's senior author Stephen Strittmatter at Yale School of Medicine.

'This gives us strong hope that we can find a drug that will work to lessen the burden of Alzheimer's.'

During Alzheimer's disease protein 'plaques' develop in the structure of the brain, leading to the death of brain cells.

People with Alzheimer's also have a shortage of some important chemicals in their brain involved with the transmission of messages within the brain.

Scientists have already provided a partial molecular map of how Alzheimer's disease destroys brain cells.

In earlier work, Professor Strittmatter's lab showed that the amyloid-beta peptides, which are a hallmark of Alzheimer's, couple with prion proteins.

By an unknown process, the coupling activates a molecular messenger called Fyn.

The new findings, published in the journal Neuron, reveals the missing link in the chain, a protein within the cell membrane called metabotropic glutamate receptor 5, or mGluR5.

When the protein is blocked by a drug similar to one being developed for Fragile X syndrome, the deficits in memory, learning, and synapse density were restored in a mouse model of Alzheimer's.

Prof Strittmatter stressed that new drugs may have to be designed to precisely target the amyloid-prion disruption of mGluR5 in human cases of Alzheimer's and said his lab is exploring new ways to achieve this.

Alzheimer's disease is the most common cause of dementia, currently affecting around 496,000 people in the UK.

For many years scientists searched for how the beta amyloid plaque found in Alzheimer corpse brains fit into the causal pathway of Alzheimer's disease. It turns out that beta amyloid is nothing but an effect of pathway causes.

This article says that it's now proven ......glutamate ingestion lies in the causal pathway of Alzheimer's disease. Isn't it ironic that glutamate ingestion also lies in the causal pathway of cancer? Grassy grains are roughly 25% glutamate.

#2234039 - 08/01/14 12:09 AM Re: POP/Venice Surfer Ronnie Jay Missing - Alzheimers [Re: Mooobs]
Thrustless Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Originally Posted By: Mooobs
This is terrible. I saw him a week or two ago getting some waves down here. Up until recently he was still recognizing me, though lately not as much anymore. I'm really upset.

Yeah, this is really heartbreaking. I spent so many dawn patrols with him over the years between surfing the V Pier and Topanga. Lots of stories from the POP days, him gearing up for retirement, etc. That Alz sh1t escalates fast!!! frown2

#2234096 - 08/01/14 07:59 AM Re: POP/Venice Surfer Ronnie Jay Missing - Alzheimers [Re: Thrustless]
brukuns Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: São Paulo, Brazil
Even I remember surfing with this guy when I was living in Venice... several sessions on the V Pier and Breakwater... He has a very distinct look, easy to remember. Hopefully it will be easy to find him. Positive thoughts from Brazil...

#2234098 - 08/01/14 08:03 AM Re: POP/Venice Surfer Ronnie Jay Missing - Alzheimers [Re: brukuns]
O.T. Offline
Duke status

Loc: sur
bummer. frown

#2234101 - 08/01/14 08:15 AM Re: POP/Venice Surfer Ronnie Jay Missing - Alzheimers [Re: Thrustless]
Gordon Gekko Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: East of Eden/Bahamas
sad situation. hope it ends well. a few years ago, I saw an old guy in his late 80s start running down the sidewalk and fall. It was around midnight. I pulled over because it was in a residential neighborhood and very odd. He was confused and scraped up. I got him into my car and he told me he lived around the corner. After about 20 minutes of driving around different neighborhoods it hit me that he had severe alzheimers and had no idea how to get home. I finally took him to the local police station when it was apparent he could not find his place or give me a phone number. terrible disease.

#2234104 - 08/01/14 08:33 AM Re: POP/Venice Surfer Ronnie Jay Missing - Alzheimers [Re: Gordon Gekko]
afoaf Offline
Tom Curren status

good man

#2234117 - 08/01/14 09:36 AM Re: POP/Venice Surfer Ronnie Jay Missing - Alzheimers [Re: Thrustless]
Mooobs Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Donktard Shltshow
Do we know how long Ronnie's been missing? Any updates?

#2234121 - 08/01/14 10:13 AM Re: POP/Venice Surfer Ronnie Jay Missing - Alzheimers [Re: donuts]
SBSteve Offline
Michael Peterson status

Originally Posted By: donuts
there's a bit in the stacy peralta dogtown skate movie where they interview him. he was saying that inside the old pop pier (with all the submerged pilings, rebar, beams, and stuff) was the most dangerous place he ever surfed in ca.

62 isn't that old - hope they find him o.k.

He got that right.
I lost two boards in there, the first one before the burn and I was able to get it out (creepy as $hit wading around all those pilings).
The second one after the burn, I didn't even bother, metal girders, burned pilings all tangled in a big mess.
Thrustless...
Please keep us informed if you can and let's hope for a happy ending.

#2234176 - 08/01/14 12:06 PM Re: POP/Venice Surfer Ronnie Jay Missing - Alzheimers [Re: SBSteve]
Thrustless Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Originally Posted By: SBSteve

Thrustless...
Please keep us informed if you can and let's hope for a happy ending.

Will do. I know a couple of Venice guys are driving around today looking for him and I'm sure they're not alone in this. I've heard nothing else though.

And to answer the other question above, he's been missing since about 1pm Wednesday.

Edited by Thrustless (08/01/14 12:08 PM)

#2234201 - 08/01/14 12:43 PM Re: POP/Venice Surfer Ronnie Jay Missing - Alzheimers [Re: Thrustless]
Thrustless Offline
Gerry Lopez status

From his daughter's Facebook page an hour ago...

"Ron Jay May have been spotted in silver lake near 625 n Alvarado street. If you know anyone in that area please share this post. These posts are the reason we got a call. Thank you so much."

#2234258 - 08/01/14 02:05 PM Re: POP/Venice Surfer Ronnie Jay Missing - Alzheimers [Re: Thrustless]
Bonzer5Fin Online   content
Tom Curren status

Loc: Dynamo Hum
I shared that poster on FB. I know of a batch of people are out looking. Ronnie is one of the good guys. I never heard him say anything negative. It got too crowded during sun up, so he just went out at 2:00AM. Surfed all night. Seeing him coming up the stairs at Topanga while we were waiting for the dawn patrol was always a good time. Guys like Ronnie are why this surfing thing is so damn interesting. The people you meet. Ronnie is a pretty damn awesome human, and I hope he's safe soon.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32